Day 194. Pastel Post Bird

10 Jul

Image

It was time to get out my sketch book again. This time I had discovered this exotic bird unlike anything I had seen before. It was such a unique species that it inspired me to get out my sketch book and colored pencils. After I was finished drawing today’s Bird-A-Day art, it felt like it needed something. That’s when I had the idea to add the pastel post for it to sit on. Enjoy.

13 Responses to “Day 194. Pastel Post Bird”

1. emjayzed July 25, 2012 at 11:54 pm #

haha! I’m happy to oblige – it feels good when I find gaspworthy art :)

2. mkdickerson July 25, 2012 at 9:25 am #

How kind. What a great thing to hear. I’ve never had a gasp before. You have made my day!!!

3. emjayzed July 25, 2012 at 6:47 am #

I actually gasped out loud when I saw this – truly, wonderfully stunning!

4. mkdickerson July 11, 2012 at 9:11 am #

I added the feet later to sit on the pastel stick. Thanks for the nice comment.

5. thelinoprinter July 11, 2012 at 6:54 am #

This is a beautiful and delicate sketch. You have a wonderful eye. I like the pastel post – did you have the Kingfisher perching on something else, or were the feet drawn after?

6. mkdickerson July 10, 2012 at 3:34 pm #

Thank you very much Patti. I love colorful birds. They are like special gifts to us.

7. mkdickerson July 10, 2012 at 3:33 pm #

How nice. Its a gorgeous species. I barely touched on how amazing it really looks. Thank you.

8. mkdickerson July 10, 2012 at 3:33 pm #

What an great experience you had. Kingfisher is a perfect name for that species of bird. He is totally built for fishing. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

9. Patti July 10, 2012 at 2:36 pm #

Marcus, that is a beautiful bird….so bright and love the color.

10. icetealover2 July 10, 2012 at 1:06 pm #

Absolutely gorgeous!

11. Stephen G. Hipperson July 10, 2012 at 12:51 pm #

We only have one species of Kingfisher here, I sometimes see them flying fast and low just above the surface of the river. They have a characteristic whistle call when they fly and when you hear it you have to keep your eyes open.
    Years ago, when I was in my late teens I was fishing by the river, my fishing rod in it’s rest and a Kingfisher flew in and perched near the end of the rod. I daren’t move. It was probably there for no more than 5 seconds before it was on it’s way – but those 5 seconds seemed an eternity – 40 years ago, maybe more and I still remember it. Your sketch(? I hesitate to call it that) brings back those memories. Thanks

12. mkdickerson July 10, 2012 at 11:39 am #

Thank you, thank you!!!

13. Gary Dickerson July 10, 2012 at 11:31 am #

I love it.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )